Monday, September 23, 2013

GUILT BY ASSOCIATION: SURROUNDING YOURSELF WITH WHAT/WHOM BRINGS YOU JOY


There were a few weeks before summer when the kids and I were doing almost weekly sleepovers at our friends home just 30 miles from our house. My husband was putting in several hours a week at work and the kids and I would find ourselves having dinner, hanging out and staying over night; a mini getaway for a change of scenery. My name is Sarah. I’m 38-years-old and I still slumber party.

One night my overly exhausted, over worked husband spouted, “Life’s not a vacation, Sarah.” I took a deep breath as I knew my husband really didn’t mind the kids and I getting out of the house. He was getting home after we were all in bed those nights anyway, so there was no neglect to claim. My typically witty self, declared, “Why not?”

It wasn’t two weeks after this exchange that our family was on vacation in beautiful Colorado. My husband and I were looking at properties with our real estate agent and he was painting a lovely picture for us. He told us “Living in Colorado was like being on vacation everyday.” Insert the exchange of winks.

There is something about Colorado that just makes you feel happy. The sun shines over 300 days a year. People tend to be more active; hiking, biking, skiing, rock climbing, running, yoga in the park and the list goes on. Also, people tend to be health conscience; ‘organic’ is the name of the game. There’s also a sense that the entire state is environmentally conscience and you better be too or it’s going to cost you at least .10 a bag.

Our family spends time in Colorado at least once a year. You can’t help but to feel happy there. This time, I came back with a game plan for my future and my husband came back announcing our family will go vegan.

There are places and people that uplift us. It’s our responsibility to surround ourselves with what brings us joy and block out the things that don’t. Explore the world and bring the best parts back home. Meet and engage with new people often. Keep in your life the friendships that encourage you to evolve into an even better individual and wish well the ones who won’t.

“Love the life you live, live the life you love.” –Bob Marley

No comments:

Post a Comment